Athol Hospital is a Critical Access, non-profit acute care hospital serving the nine communities of the North Quabbin Region. The hospital’s service area includes the towns of Athol, Erving, New Salem, Orange, Petersham, Phillipston, Royalston, Warwick, and Wendell. The hospital opened its doors in 1950, the result of the efforts of community and business leaders to establish a local hospital to serve the healthcare needs of the region. Land was donated by the family of Addison Sawyer, an inventor whose residence once stood where the hospital building is now located. The hospital was originally named Athol Memorial Hospital to honor the sons of Athol who gave their lives in World War II. A plaque of their names remains on the wall of the Main Lobby.